Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Book Review


I haven't actually written a book review since college. Don't get me wrong, I've been doing plenty of reading, just not reviewing. Actually, come to think of it, plenty of reviewing too, just not on paper. I recommend books like they are going out of style. I keep lists of books I have read or would like to read. In fact, my wish list on Amazon keeps growing and growing and growing. I take one off and add five, or so it seems. Anyway, this is going to be real informal. I'm just betting it would get me a failing grade in school, but that's the joy of reading for pleasure, no formalities to fulfill.

On to the book, I read another book by this author a few years back and LOVED it (Creative Counterpart). So, I decided to finally read this one also. It was a little dusty seeing as how it has been on my bookshelf for at least two years. I figure what better time to read a book about anxiety than after a career change, a big move, an earthquake, and deciding to homeschool!


By the way, the husband likes to watch lots of crime shows or 20/20 episodes about real-life crimes or I Survived episodes just as I am getting ready to go to bed. I am not one to go to sleep easily after watching those kinds of shows. If I don't have trouble falling asleep, I at least wake up with nightmares a few times. So, instead of going straight to bed after seeing one of his shows, I took up reading a chapter from this book. Let me tell you, it was wonderful! No nightmares! It put things all in perspective for me. Here's a look at a few of my favorite chapters and what it taught me.


1. Chapter 2: Content with Circumstances
Contentment is a choice. I choose to give anxiety to God. I choose to pray specifically. I choose to be thankful. I choose to dwell on the positive.


2. Chapter 4: Content with My Role
Slow down and enjoy my portion that I have been given. My role will change sooner than I want it too. All roles are difficult. All roles provide opportunity. Things could be much worse. (I have often been very thankful that I was born in the USA and not during the colonial times. I absolutely would have starved to death if I had to kill the chicken and cook it! Just a reminder that God knows me better than I know myself and He knows exactly where He wants me!)


3. Chapter 8: Worry Is Like a Rocking Chair
"Worry is like a rocking chair; it will give you something to do but it won't get you anywhere."
"We have moments absolutely free from worry. These brief respites are called panic!"


In a nutshell (I always picture the husband doing his little mime routine trying to get out of the nutshell when someone says this.), I really like this book. It wasn't really deep. It was mostly stuff I have already read or know, but there were many personal stories from the author that applied it in such a way as to be a great reminder. I might just pull this book out and give it another read whenever I am feeling especially anxious about something. Who am I kidding, anxious at all, to be especially anxious would be exactly what I just read should never happen!

Things to do after reading this book...
1. Write out my personalized life purpose (or life verse).
2. Make an Anxiety Box. Want to know what that is? Well, you'll just have to read the book and find out! ;)

There you have it, my informal book report. Now, what book am I going to start reading? My book budget is non-existant so until I can get the new library card, it will have to be something on the bookshelf. I'm sure you are dying to find out.

No comments: