Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Kindred Hearts

This is a quote from Jesus: 90 Days with The One and Only by Beth Moore about Mary and Elizabeth.
"How tender the God who shared with her through an angel that someone nearby could relate...Can you imagine their conversation over tea? One too old, the other too young. One married to an old priest, the other promised to a young carpenter. One heavy with child, the other with no physical evidence to fuel her faith. But God had graciously given them one another with a bond to braid their lives forever."

She goes on, "Women are like that, aren't they? We long to find someone who has been where we've been, who shares our fragile places, who sees our sunsets with the same shades of blue."

And then to ponder, "Has God ever provided you someone to share your joy in the impossible or to understand the peculiar places you find yourself in? Determine how you will be used of God to be that person for someone else, when the need arises."

Oh how those words reach deep into my wounds this morning. During my first pregnancy, all I wanted was to feel God's comfort. I didn't know how. I was so bitter about what was happening that I couldn't let Him comfort me. I see that now. I didn't see it then.

The best part of it all is that He didn't just leave me to wallow in my bitterness and self-pity, He provided comfort through those around me. Those that I would allow to comfort me. I can see it now. I couldn't see it then. It was HIM that was giving the comfort, they were the vessels. I have so much gratitude in my heart for those women, those families, who were vessels full of HIS comfort for us. They poured themselves out in a situation where they didn't even know how. Because of that, I can now say that He is the God of ALL Comfort. You may know who you are, you may not, and you may never even read this, but I thank you and you will forever be a Kindred Heart to me!

It is my desire to be a vessel of comfort to as many women as God sees fit in this journey. What good is comfort if we do not share it with others? How can we be comforted and then watch others in pain and not comfort them?

Today, I have a renewed desire to be a vessel. Show me to whom you would pour me out, Lord! Today I choose to act when given opportunity, to share comfort to those in need, to step out of my comfort zone and be used by You!

No comments: