Friday, April 18, 2008

A Whole Lotta Shakin'

So I had just crawled back in bed at about 4:30 this morning after getting Miss C a drink of water. I lay may head on the pillow thinking that I was going to drift off to sleep for a few more hours, when what to my wandering ears should appear but the sound of a reindeer running on the roof. Seriously, that's what it sounded like. I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Could there really be a LARGE animal running around on our roof?

Then came the revelation I needed, I had just watched the news before going to bed and they said a cold front was coming through and that meant severe weather. So I yell, "It's a tornado!" (To which my husband swears he said, "No, I think it is an earthquake." However, before I could even grab the baby and go downstairs, he was already downstairs with Miss A and Miss C, so I don't really think he was that convinced of his earthquake diagnosis.) In his defense, he was still in a slumber stuper at that point.

Realizing it probably was not a tornado at this point or straightline winds for that matter, I send him up to turn on the TV and see what the heck was going on. Large reindeer seen running around town? An elephant loose from the zoo? Aliens playing football on roofs? Seriously, there HAD to be something on the roof! Alas, from upstairs I hear, "It was an earthquake." Now, all you west-coast folk probably find my naivete very hilarious. I am not amused.

Since we were all awake, I found this a good time to explain to the girls that in an earthquake you do not go to the basement and proceed to tell them where they should go. Now they are completely aware that it was Mommy's decision to go to the basement. And just because I was already feeling stupid enough, the weather guy says, "We are getting reports of a lot of people going to their basements. That is not a safe place to go in an earthquake." To which Miss C replies, "See Mommy, Daddy was right." Thank you Miss C and thank you weatherman for clarifying who the idiot is in the house today. And just so y'all know, I totally know what to do in an earthquake, it's just that I thought we were having a TORNADO!

I am done watching the weather before bed, it just confuses me! Of course if there were any pictures hanging on the walls of our new house and one had fallen. I might have figured out the whole earthquake thing myself. Enjoy a little laughter at my expense today, I'm a big girl, I can handle it.

7 comments:

hjenkins said...

I've been waiting for a second report.. tell me again where you were when the large aftershock occurred?! :)
H

Hope said...

You are just too funny now aren't you? Don't you think that might just be a little too much information for the general public to take in?

hjenkins said...

Well, if you want to put it all out there, I mean come on. :)

hjenkins said...

I mean, if you want to put it all out there, I'm not going to stop you. :)

Hope said...

Are you stalking me again? Maybe I should go get you a shopping cart and a cane! Well, at least I have lots of comments!

hjenkins said...

oops - I thought the blog world ate my first post, so I posted a second time. Feel free to delete one of those... yep, stalker with a walker.. that's me!

Meghan said...

I figured out to get into your blog! (I'm sure it was pretty obvious how, but I'm still learning......) I LOVE it!! It's so great to be able to communicate this way. You do a really great job!!