Sunday, June 22, 2008

Book Swap

Have you noticed that I love reading? Well, I do. I find myself always reading something. You know, cereal boxes, ketchup bottles, shampoo bottles (Those are fascinating by the way. Check out the titles in the shampoo aisle sometime. Try explaining some of those to your children. Whew! Apparently sex sells shampoo too. It's shampoo for crying out loud!) Off my soap box now (pun intended, heeehee).

I'm way off topic, back to reading. Unless you're going to wash my hair while I type this because I love having my hair washed. Anywho, reading. Back to reading. I love reading. That's why I considered this when I saw that everyone was posting about it on their blogs. Okay, maybe not everyone, but a lot of the self-proclaimed avid readers were.

It's a book exchange where you list the books you want to read and when one comes available they mail it to you. You keep it. You list the books you have that you are willing to part with and then when someone requests one of your books, you mail it to them. They keep it. Understand the process here?

It sounds great, because you get to read new books without paying a lot of money for them. Here's the problem for me, well two problems. Number one, apparently I am a book snob. See, I like to keep my books and well, hoard them. Not to just have lots of books, but I like to recommend and loan them to people. I like to underline and make notes in them. Notes that you wouldn't necessarily want strangers reading. I like to go back and read them again (sometimes). I like to KEEP my books. So, I'm not really ready to part with ANY. Second problem. I read mostly Christian non-fiction. That's not really the kind of books people tend to put on a book swap. Mostly fiction there (and very little Christian).

So, here's the thing. I was talking to my sister a while back about reading. She reads mostly Christian fiction. I read Christian non-fiction. She's shallow. I'm deep. TOTALLY KIDDING! We like reading for two different reasons. I like to feel like I am accomplishing something (you know I like to check things off of lists!), like I'm learning something, like my time was well-spent. (I'm totally the opposite when it comes to TV, so don't get me started.) She likes to read for entertainment. To not learn anything. To take a break.

I realized talking to her that sometimes I take myself way too seriously. Okay, most of the time, and that maybe I need to lighten up some. I can't even remember the last time that I read some fiction just for fun. So, I decided that I would start on some fiction reading. I got my Amazon list ready by adding some fiction and was waiting.

Then, my sister called. She's watching my children in a week, which means that there will be an opportunity for a little exchange. She suggested that I send down some Christian non-fiction books for her to read because maybe she should actually read something other than fiction, you know, to learn something. In exchange, she is sending me some fiction to read, you know to not learn something. I think it is fabulous. Free books, and I get mine back when she's done.

Not that she will read them all, but I thought I would tell you what I'm sending her way. The recommendations off my shelf. I'll let you know what she sends my way once I get them, unless she posts that in a comment here, since she is one of my most committed readers. :) And by committed, I mean loyal, not imprisoned. She's rather well-adjusted, or at least she is until she has my kids next week!

Here's what I'm sending her way...
1. 8 Choices That Will Change a Woman's Life by Jill Briscoe
2. Pathway to Purpose for Women by Katie Brazelton
3. Creative Counterpart by Linda Dillow
4. Prayerwalk by Janet Holm McHenry
5. Taking Care of the Me in Mommy by Lisa Whelchel

What about you? If you were recommending a book for an exchange, what would you send? Are you a fiction or a non-fiction reader?

3 comments:

Heather said...

So I've already been outed - I am the fiction reader of the family. Looks like I'll have a lot of good reading and learning coming my way. I'll be back with my fiction recommended reading list later - gotta go clean off my bookshelf and make room for the new ones.

Meghan said...

I don't think that book swap thing would be for me. I usually only buy books I've read and loved. I wouldn't be able to part with any of the books I have for that reason. They are like friends I visit over and over! That said, I like both fiction and non-fiction. It depends on my mood at any given moment. I think the best book I've read so far this year was The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom(I know I've already mentioned this). It was just so inspiring!! I have a billion books I could recommend, but I'm too lazy to type them out, so I'll just stick with that one. It was fantastic! I love books.....

Hope said...

Heather-Where's the list? Oh, I forgot, you're at the pool. Where are your priorities?

Meghan-You said that so much more eloquently than I. Love that you described them as friends, that's how I feel about them too. I'm going to add The Hiding Place to my Amazon/library list. It's one of those that I have heard so much about and never read. You always have such a great variety of books you read. I think it says volumes about your sweet personality. Iris and Lydia will be so cultured from all your reading together!