Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Days of Diligence

I was thinking about all the things needing to get done around here today and thought, I ought to do a post on that. So, I got the computer out and brought up the blog. Then, I got sidetracked by the Proverbs scripture that needed updated. I decided to update it first. Lo and Behold, look at the very next scripture that was awaiting me to put on the ole blog. Go ahead look over to the right. [Updated: Here's the verse. Time to change it again on the sidebar, so I'm just adding it here in the post. "The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied."Proverbs 13:4 (NIV)]

Uh-huh. Does He know how to speak to me or what? A little conviction goes a long way. So, in the spirit of conviction, here goes. My post has taken a whole new turn.

Several years ago I did a Bible Study with a group of women using a book called Creative Counterpart by Linda Dillow. It became one of my favorite women books of all time. The book is all about becoming the woman, wife, and mother you have longed to be. It is a great book on balancing our priorities in line with God's Word.

Since I'm a planner, I wanted a practical way to plan out my priorities and have a checks-and-balances way of keeping on task. In the book, Linda mentions a planner/calendar that she created that would have been a phenomenal way of doing this, but it was out of print at the time. So, I took it upon myself to make my own. I searched long and hard for a good planner. See planners are kind of like purses to me. I love the idea of a small one that is easy to carry with me, but then I realize that I have way too much stuff to fit in it, so I have to get one that is bigger than I want it to be in order for it to function the way I want it to function.

I still haven't found the perfect one. I've thought about making it, but that would probably put my priorities all out of whack. :) Thus, I've settled on the Amy Knapp's Family Organizer. I like the Christian edition, but I can never find it at the store. I know I could order it online, but then I have to wait for it to get here and I'm usually needing it ASAP by the time I think to order it.

Anywho, I got this planner, and then I typed out the priority portion from Linda's organizer. (Go to this post to read about the priorities.) I purchase this planner every year and then print out the priorities and glue them over the grocery side of the planner (because my grocery list is always way bigger than that!).

Some (namely my husband) would say this is so behind the times and lame when I could just put everything in my BlackBerry, but that's a whole other post!

Anyhow, every Sunday I sit down and fill out my planner for the week including priorities, to-do list, and menu. Then, everything I need to know is right on the kitchen counter and ready for me to stay on task for the week. I can look at it and check things off as often as I want.

Problem is, I was looking at the last several months (like since we moved), and there are more things unchecked meaning undone, uncompleted, not finished, etc. than there are ones that are checked. So, I've come to the conclusion that I'm much better at planning than I am at doing! I already knew that, I just see now that it is well-documented and proven in the pages of my planner!

So, I'm thinking a little bloggy accountability might be a good thing. I only have 4 weeks before I start officially homeschooling the girls and many a project that need to be completed before then. If you look over to the right you'll see a new list titled "Diligent Days of Summer". This is a list of all the projects that I would like to complete before starting school. This may be very ambitious, but I know that I will be able to keep my priorities in better alignment once school starts if the projects are done. So, I'm gonna get busy and I'll update you as I complete them!

No comments: