Monday, June 23, 2008

When Was The Last Time I Did This?

That's the question I was asking myself all afternoon as I cleaned my mini-van. I can't remember where I read or heard this, but I heard someone say before that you can tell a lot about a woman and her priorities by the condition of her car. Meaning that if their car is a mess, then their house probably is too. Let me just say, I totally disagree. If my house ever looked the way my van did today, it would probably be because I was incapacitated or well, dead.

Now, if you have in your mind that I am the best housekeeper and organizer ever, then please look away now. Because I am about to rock your world and blow that philosophy right out of the water! Okay, you have been warned.
Last chance, look away now!
Don't say I didn't warn you. Here's what the van looked like after removing all the kid's seats and the actual van seats.





That my friends is what happens when children bring stuff to the car with them and DON'T TAKE THEM BACK INSIDE! Can you tell that it bothers me?

And that? That, is what happens when children go to Sunday School for 2 services and make an entire museum worth of artwork that they bring into the van every Sunday for 3 months. Minus the sippy cups and jumper cables, because that would just be a little odd for them to bring home from Sunday School.

I forgot to take an after picture, but let's just say I had a 3 hour date with the Shop-Vac, and then I got out the Armor All and shined that perty thing up! I estimate it to be a thing of beauty for at least one day. Though, I am considering making a life-size blow-up of that first picture and hanging it on the door going to the garage. You know, just to have a little picture to point at the next time anyone asks if they can take this book and this doll and this cup to the van and "promise to bring it back inside when we get home."

7 comments:

Heather said...

Can I tell you how proud of you I am? Not for cleaning the van, but for posting pics of the before. Holy packrats, Batman! Now, wanna come clean mine?:)

Heather said...

Had to go back and look, just curious.. what is on the orange plate? I am hoping a shoe and not some uneaten burrito...

Hope said...

Heather-
Um, yeah, you have no idea how hard it was for me to take that photo, not to mention posting it. Blogging might be good for my attention-to-detail disorder. Oh and that is a frisbee, not a plate. Seeing as how Mr. N despises Mexican drive-thru, my children have never had a burrito in the van. I believe it is a headband? Probably, since there were about three of those in there.

Meghan said...

Our car looks very similar! It's hard enough to keep my house picked up - I can't manage everything, can I? Some things have to slide....but don't you love that feeling once the car is cleaned out and spotless once again?

Hope said...

Meghan-It felt so good to have that clean yesterday. I think I might be considered the Van Nazi today though, maybe a little too obsessive about keeping it clean for more than one day?

Carrie said...

I totally know exactly what you mean. My house is neat. My mini-van... it looks about like yours did!

I have my hands full with the diaper bag, the baby, the kids as we get in. I usually come home with a few bags to add to that. The kids carry stuff out with them and NEVER carry it back in with them. I don't have enough hands to carry it back in and so it builds up over time. One toy/snack/drink at a time until it's this big pile. Ugh.

Chandra said...

I am also very proud of you for acutally letting people see the not-so OC Hope. There IS justice in this world. I just cleaned mine out, wasn't THAT bad but I also wasn't brave enough to remove the seats. Who knows what might be living under them.