Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Anyone Up For a Bloggy Bible Study?

Alright, do you sometimes feel like no matter how hard you try to give God the top position in your life, there is always something trying to knock Him off the throne of your life? Just when I think I've got it right, something else pops up and tries to get my worship and His rightful position, and most of it is "good" stuff!

Over the summer, Beth Moore hosted a study by Kelly Minter called "No Other Gods" through her blog. I really wanted to participate, but I was in the middle of leading one of Beth's studies at church. I knew that it would be too much to do both at the same time.

Well, we finished Stepping Up Monday night, and now I'm ready to pick up "No Other Gods". I really want to do this with other women, but my schedule right now is not going to allow me to do a face-to-face group, so it got me to thinking. How about my bloggy friends?

The study is really meant to be done in small groups where you share dinner together (it has recipes in it!) That won't be too possible over the blog, but what if you gathered some women who live around you and shared with them and then shared what He is doing in your group over this here blog? Or you can do it by yourself and still share what He is doing in your life? I plan to do it myself and then have a final gathering complete with food using the recipes in the book at the end of the study with some of the ladies who live here and will be joining us.

Here are the details. There are 5 days of homework for each week. We'll do the daily studies on our own. Then, on Saturdays, I will put up a post to prompt a little discussion on the blog. You can put a comment up whenever you have the time throughout the week. The book is an 8-week study. We'll do a "roll call" to see who all is joining us on Saturday, September 13 and then start the first week of study that following week. We'll finish on Saturday, November 8.

The books have to be ordered through LifeWay's website here or bought at a LifeWay Store. MAKE SURE IT IS THE MEMBER BOOK, not the trade book. The Member Book has the recipes and Bible Study in it. The trade book does not. (Many sites sell the trade book, but LifeWay is the only one that sells the Member Book.) We will start September 13 so that you have some time to receive your book if ordering it over the Internet.



I hope that if you are not already in a Bible Study or small group, you will consider joining me. I love myself a good Bible Study, and I love to share the journey with other women! Leave a comment below if you think you might join me! I'd love to have you participate!

14 comments:

MamaHenClucks said...

Hmmm. . . I am really interested in this. I'm just getting ready to pick what the bible study I lead is going to be doing this fall, starting in September (on the 17th, actually). I wonder if we could use this for our bible study and then we could coordinate it to discuss with you, too. I'm meeting a few of the girls today for lunch, so let me chat with them and see. Otherwise, I think I'll just do it myself. I love this idea!

Nancy S. said...

Count me in! I ordered the book yesterday.

dianna b said...

I'm in too! I just ordered my book on-line. Can't wait for the dinner at the end!

Meghan said...

I would love to do this...and I'm laughing (a little) because I read this yesterday just as I was trying to get myself rigged around to write the opening post for our new (Sarah, Sara, Me) bible study blog (www.womenseekinghim.blogspot.com)!

I'm actually really interested in the book you are doing, so I will probably try to figure out how I can do both. We're doing a Beth Moore study, and you know how time consuming (in a good way) those can be!

Your new blog design is very cute! I also laughed because I was taking a break from trying to pick my very own cutestblogontheblock design by catching up on some blogs! We obviously have very similar minds...

Living Well 4 You said...

This would be so much fun. I wish I could do it but right now my time is devoted to Beth's sanctuary study. We've just started week two but I'm lovin' it (of course).

Carrie said...

I would love to! If you are serious about this, I will order the book!

My soul definitely needs fed, however all the Bible Studies at my church are during the week, and I cannot possibly attend. :(

Carrie
mountainrailway at gmail dot com

Kim said...

I just stumbled across your blog from WFMW... I did this study over the summer, but would love to go through it again as there is just so much to chew on. Would it be okay if I joined along?

Hope said...

Carrie and Kim-
We would LOVE to have you join us! Roll call on the 13th, see you then!

Ashley Griffin said...

I would LOVE to do this Bible study with you all. I can across your website through LPM and noticed that your hubby is a big movie man. i attend Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Ga. and we will be releasing our 3rd movie in about 3 weeks called Fireproof. Our first two were called Flywheel and the other was Facing the Giants. Ever heard of them? you can get info on Fireproof by going to www.fireproofthemovie.com
love to hear from you!

Hope said...

Ashley-
Welcome! We would love to have you join us as well. Order the book and join us back here on the 13th for roll call!

We saw Facing the Giants when it came out on DVD, and my husband showed me the Fireproof trailer a few weeks ago. My husband is actually on staff at a church and plans to make some feature films in the future (hopefully near future). :)

Ashley Griffin said...

we got to see it already as a church before it the release and let me tell you it is amazing. Why are we so surprised at what God can do with so little? I hope that you will be able to see Fireproof. It was fun getting to see Kirk Cameron again too. i must confess, i watched Growing Pains all the time when i was younger and i did have a case of "Seaver Feaver"!! he is sooo nice and has an amazing heart for God! after one of his daughters saw Facing the Giants she accepted Christ so that movie was very special to him and he called us and asked if he could participate in our next film. so obviously we said no...j/k :-)
can't wait to start the study. gonna try to get a small group here to do it too, if not i will just do it by myself!

Aimee Jenkins said...

I would like also to join the bible study. I live in the boon docks so getting a book may take me a week or so. I am also expecting baby #5 in four weeks, so I will really try my best to keep up. This is a great idea and I really hope it works out! :-)

Hope said...

Aimee-
Welcome! I'm glad you are going to join us! We'll be starting Saturday, if your book doesn't come in time you can view the first week of study on the LifeWay website, so you should be able to start with us regardless! Congratulations on baby #5, keep us updated, you're getting really close! Stop by for roll call on Saturday!

Aimee said...

Don't give up on me Hope. My book should be here this week! :-)