Monday, August 11, 2008

August Challenge Update-Week 2

Okay, so I was completely sucked into the Olympics last night and didn't get this post up. (Can you say swimming and gymnastics? LOVE THEM! Oh, and that was one AWESOME race last night!) That, and I'm not really excited about this post. I TOTALLY failed this week! Here's how...

1. The husband called me at 10:30 Thursday morning and asked if the girls and I could be up at the church by 1:00 to do a video shoot for him. Now, I'm not one to disappoint, so I said yes. What I wouldn't do for my man. The problem? I had not showered yet, and the girls were in pajamas, and the house looked like a war-zone. These shoots, you never know how long they will last, so everyone needed to be bathed, dressed, and have eaten lunch before 1:00. I didn't have anything quick to fix, the sandwich stuff was gone, and all that was left were things that needed cooked. I didn't have time for cooking and showering, so I opted for the showering. (I'm sure everyone was grateful even though they didn't know it.) Okay, you guessed it, we went through the drive-thru. AAAAAHHHHHH!

2. The above-mentioned video that was filmed at 1:00 in the afternoon on Thursday had to be completely edited by noon-time on Friday. All the dinner stuff I had left was for the grill. I haven't found a way to safely grill and watch all three children at the same time. Mr. N had to stay at the church until LATE to get the video done. We ordered pizza. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

3. Friday night we got invited to go out to eat with some of the volunteers and staff at church. Last time they asked and we said no, I said that we would NOT say no again. We really want to build relationships with people and if you keep saying no, they eventually will stop asking. We've learned that before. So, of course, we went out to eat with a group from church Friday night. It was all in the name of fellowship. :)

4. With the husband's LONG hours, he still wasn't home to grill and we still didn't have any other groceries (because I have also learned to try at all costs to shop without the girls!) So, of course we had to do a drive-thru on the way home from church. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!

Translation: We had an EAT-OUT BLOW-OUT this weekend. We made it all the way to the 7th without eating out and then ate out like 4 times in 3 days. Needless to say, rule#1 has been broken. But, I am not going for perfection, I'm going for progress. I have not given up on the month. I sat down with receipts and it wasn't as bad as it seemed.

For two weeks of groceries and toiletries I spent $185.00. Looking at this perspective we are under budget. However, add in the $100 spent on those 4 meals and we are OVER budget.

Here's how I'm looking at it.
1. We still did WAY better than we had been doing, even adding in the eating out money, so PROGRESS. Baby-steps, remember?
2. I'm going to try my hardest to use the remaining $200 for the rest of the month. See, all is not lost. Maybe I'll reach my goal for August Challenge Second-Half?

By the way, we are more-than-likely, but not-for-certain going camping this weekend, so my next update won't be until a week from Tuesday probably. Unless we don't go camping, then it will be Sunday. :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I feel that weekends are the hardest when it comes to eating out. Being that I've been on the diet that I'm on, I allow myself one free meal and it's usually something like Pizza. Kris and I used to eat out every meal on Saturdays - that was until we had kids and figured how expensive it was. Eating out is not cheap, but either is eating healthy. It seems like I spend a ton of money at the store for buying "healthy" options. It's frustrating.

dianna b said...

Hope, How funny!!!!! :-D The way you told this story with all your AAAUUUGGGHHHH'S is just HILARIOUS!I got the GREATEST JOY & LAUGHTER out of reading this!! Can you hear me all the way to Mt. Vernon?! :-D :-D :-D What's so funny is that I've done the exact same thing in my lifetime too! I am still smiling & just tickled to pieces even as I type this!!