Saturday, August 30, 2008

A Better Bear-Bear

Apparently kids can learn a lot from Reading Rainbow. Even things like how to make a mummy. Seriously.

We were doing a history lesson on the Egyptians. I wasn't aware how much my children already knew about the Egyptians from Reading Rainbow. We got into a great discussion about how silly it is that they thought the kings needed all their treasures and food and stuff after they died. How silly it is because you can't really take things with you to heaven.

Then it started. The tears. The whining. The d-r-a-m-a. "But, I just have to take Bear-Bear with me! I can't go without Bear-Bear! I would miss her!"


A little background on Bear-Bear. My grandmother gave Miss A Bear-Bear as a gift when she was a baby. She used to say a prayer and snore. (Bear-Bear, not Grandma, though Grandma is famous for that too.) After her battery wore down to the point that she sounded like a demon and it scared Miss A half-to-death in the middle of the night, we had to do a "surgical removal of the battery." Bear-Bear survived the surgery and has gone on to sleep with Miss A every single night for the past 4 years. They are attached.


So you can see why she would be concerned that she can't take Bear-Bear with her. I finally was able to convince her that Jesus was preparing an EVEN BETTER Bear-Bear for her to snuggle with in heaven, and that seemed to ease the pain. Somehow, when she gets to heaven, I don't think she'll even care about Bear-Bear anymore. I mean, when you've got Jesus, who needs Bear-Bear?

I'm just left wondering, will there really be a Better Bear-Bear, or did I lie to my child? Things that make you go hmmmmm.

2 comments:

MamaHenClucks said...

We have these same conversations, although ours revolve around whether or not the kitty or fish get to come and will kitty purr on Jesus' lap? Can blankie come to? Preschoolers are so attached to their things I think it is difficult to answer that question with complete honesty. I think that Jesus understands where they are coming from. But I totally hear on on whether or not it is a lie. Hmmmmm.

ThreeGirlyGirls said...

That's a tough call! I think that phase will pass.......hopefully! =)