I've been trying to combine three things lately and I can't seem to find a GOOD solution. Here are the three things.
1. Eating healthy and losing weight.
2. Reducing our grocery budget.
3. Simplifying my time in the kitchen (and not eating out!)
Here are the issues.
1. Healthy food costs more (i.e. whole grains; lean protein; fresh fruits) than the alternatives.
2. I still have a husband with a big appetite and three little ones to feed.
3. Somewhat picky children (they will eat most vegetables and fruit, the meat is the issue) and a very picky husband (won't eat fish, ham, turkey, or baked chicken, also doesn't like anything remotely creamy which rules out most one-dish dinners).
4. I don't particularly love cooking and am not very good at it. (I can follow a recipe, but can't just throw ingredients together on a whim and have it be very appetizing.) I don't want to fall into cooking something different for me than what I cook for the family.
5. I also don't have a warehouse store any closer than 45 minutes away, and I don't have a ton of time for shopping.
Here are the three things I'm considering trying for the first time or trying again. Any more suggestions?
1. Once a month cooking.
2. A friend recommended e-mealz (thanks Nancy!)
3. Sticking to my healthy menu and cooking from scratch as much as possible to save money.
Here are my questions.
1. What do you do to eat healthy on a budget?
2. How do you simplify your time in the kitchen and keep from eating out?
3. How do you accommodate different tastes in your family while still eating healthy and saving money?
Leave your ideas, recipes, or suggestions in the comments section. Also, there are two really great posts up at the following sites today taking this idea to the next level. They are talking about how to provide meals for others while staying on a budget (not necessarily healthy, but that would make a good post too). Good stuff in the comments. If you have time, you should check them out!
Money Saving Mom
Life As Mom
11th Blog Anniversary GIVEAWAY!
18 hours ago