Monday, August 4, 2008

Organization Overload-Cleaning Schedule

Back in our old town there was this frozen custard place that everyone raved about. The husband and I decided to try it out one day. He ordered a little something called a Chocolate Overload.


Now, on first thought that seems like an oxymoron. You can never have too much chocolate right? Um, this little dessert proved that theory wrong. Basically, it was a chocolate brownie with chocolate chunks with chocolate ice cream on it all covered in hot fudge.


It was so unbelievably rich that he couldn't even stand to eat it. It was making him physically ill. Since then, we've had this little joke about the Chocolate Overload (along with the joke about the blue-cheeseburger) which can pretty much trigger the gag reflex with one mention.


All that to say, that I LOVE organizing, but I've been doing so much of it that it is beginning to feel like an Organization Overload. My gag reflex isn't triggered, but my brain is fried, which pretty much makes me want to overload on chocolate daily, just not The Chocolate Overload, peanut M&Ms are just fine.



So, in honor of The Chocolate Overload and organizing, this week at Pink-a-Doodle-Doo is all about Organization Overload. I've been working very hard on my Diligent Days of Summer, so I thought I would share the results with you. We're gearing up to start our first year of homeschooling next week. Well, the first year that counts anyway.


I can be so distractable when things are not organized, so I need everything to have a place and everything to actually be in its place. Things have NOT been in their place since we moved mostly because things don't have a space yet. So, there's a whole lot of getting things organized happening here. And by things, I mean time and space.

This week I plan to put a new post up each and every day about the organizing we've been doing. Since you are no doubt dying to know what I've been doing with my time, let's get started.


First up, a cleaning schedule! The routine I've gotten into has been to spend all my time Saturday morning cleaning bathrooms, doing laundry, vacuuming, etc. It's driving me crazy! I don't want to spend my Saturday that way anymore! So, I'm implementing a weekly cleaning schedule. I made it on the computer, printed it, and then laminated it and hung it in the kitchen. Here's what it looks like.







Here's what it consists of...

I have daily chores of dishes and sweeping. Other household chores are spread out throughout the week, like so...


Sunday=grocery list, coupons, meal plan (my planning day).
Monday=grocery shop, mirrors, windows
Tuesday=laundry, vacuum, mop
Wednesday=toilets, sinks
Thursday=vacuum, mop, dust
Friday=laundry, linens, door knobs (trying to prevent illness this way this winter!)
Saturday=scrub shower, vacuum

In addition to my chores, the girls each have two days a week that they are my "special helper." They LOVE helping me cook, do dishes, and laundry. However, it turns into more of a fight between the two every time.

In an effort to have some one-on-one time with the girls and teach them how to do these things without the fighting, they are trading off. I'm totally going to play up the "special helper" thing and make them feel like they are waaaaay cool on their special days. You know, the way you felt super cool when you were the "teacher's helper" in kindergarten.

On those days, they help me with laundry, cooking, dishes, sweeping, and anything school related. I may even make a special nametag or something they get to wear on that day, just to be clear who is the special helper on any given day. For the record, Miss O doesn't get this privilege yet, just Miss C and Miss A who will actually be a help.

There you have it, the weekly cleaning schedule. Tune in to tommorrow's Organization Overload for The New Chore Chart. (You didn't really think that was all that I would make them do around here did you?)

5 comments:

Meghan said...

I LOVE this. I am so all about organization! I really like your idea about having a "special helper". We might have to steal this to try out in our own household with Iris....

I can't wait to see what's next!

Hope said...

Meghan-
I wish we still lived in the same town. We could share our love for organization. I'm sure I could learn a lot from you!

I think since Lydia isn't old enough yet, maybe Todd should trade off with Iris in being the "special helper." Iris would probably get a kick out of that, and you could get some one-on-one time with Todd! :)

Dianna B said...

LOL!!!!! I got an absolute kick out of your chocolate overload story!! And your organization overload comments too! :-)How fun to get organized & be organized & make charts & have chores for the kids! AND to be able to buy plastic drawers & containers to put stuff in!

I like to organize too. A couple of years ago I labeled all these plastic drawers I bought for our laundry room because I couldn't find anything. So each drawer had a label...Bags...Extension Cords...Light Bulbs...Rags...etc. Well I think I became overloaded with stuff that I started sticking stuff in whatever drawer had space! It's probably time I re-organized my wonderful organizational project!

Heather said...

Way to go - I may just be inspired to copy your schedules. :) Seriously, can you make the schedule bigger so I can download and steal it? Can't remember the last time my windows or doorknobs were cleaned.

MamaHenClucks said...

LOVE your organizational schedule! Meghan and I definitely share that same gene! Like you, I can do NOTHING unless the house is organized and clean. Sometimes it stalls me out!

I'm tagging you tomorrow (Tuesday)over at the Henhouse if you want to play!