Thursday, August 7, 2008

Organization Overload-Daily Schedule

After seeing where we will be doing school, I thought some of you might like to see what a day of homeschool looks like (on paper of course). Scheduling for homeschool can be difficult. Try to homeschool without one and you'll find yourself never accomplishing anything. Try to rigidly stick to one and you'll find yourself (and your kids) stressed out.

Basically, the schedule is the goal we aim for each day. It keeps us on target, but we don't stress over it. If math takes extra long, then school gets over a little later. If science goes quickly, then we have more play time. The cool thing about it is that we have the ability to do as much as we want or as little as we want, as long as we accomplish what we need to this year. It's golden.

The key for us is to make sure we start on time every day. If not, we're playing catch-up the rest of the day, and that is not fun! So, start on time and start with the B-I-B-L-E! I really wanted to do everything in the morning, seeing as how it is just Kindergarten! However, I think Science will go much smoother if we do it while Miss O is napping. So, Science will be in the afternoon, everything else in the morning! Here's our schedule. I, of course, typed it out and hung it in the schoolroom and in the kitchen. It is even color-coded. Blue=meals and snacks, Red=school time, Black=everything else. Fancy y'all, fancy!

I couldn't get a picture (or figure out how to upload it), so here is what the schedule says. (As if it can talk?) I've added in links (which totally messes up the color-coded thing by the way), so you can see what curriculum we are using. Just for fun.

DAILY SCHEDULE

7:30 Breakfast
8:00 Chores 1&2
8:45 Bible Time/Character Study/Prayer
9:00 Calendar Time (Weather, Days of Week, Months in Year, etc.)
9:15 Handwriting Miss A & Miss C
9:30 Spelling/Phonics/Reading
Miss A & Miss C
10:15 Morning Snack and Break
10:30 Math Miss A & Miss C
11:00 History and Read-Alouds
11:30 Fix Lunch/Play
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Science/Odelia Nap
2:00 Quiet Time TV/Odelia Nap
3:00 Afternoon Snack
3:30 Outdoor Play/PE
5:00 Fix Dinner/Eat Dinner
6:00 Play
7:00 Clean Up Toys/Bathtime/Odelia Bedtime
7:30 Read books quietly in bed/Manners book with Mommy
8:00 Bedtime

Most of you lovely readers (that I know of) aren't homeschooling quite yet (just Chandra and Susan?), but I would love to hear if and how your day is scheduled with little ones. If you would like to share, post a little schedule of your own in the comments!

We've got one more day of Organization Overload. I'm going to finish this out with one more post about time organization. We've got the school stuff ready, now it's time to cover it in daily prayer. See how I organize that tomorrow! Have I triggered your gag reflex yet from the overload?

4 comments:

Holly said...

Hope,
Your eye contact story was probably one of the most amazing stories I have ever heard in my life! Truly. What are the odds of that?
Thanks for sharing.
Wow, your daily schedule looks great. Quite impressed.

Emily said...

Your schedule looks fantastic. This is what my schedule looks like right now:
6:30 Me up and Dressed
7:00 Kids breakfast/bible time
7:30 Walk O to school
8:00 Home/Me Prayer Time/Clean Kitchen
9:30 School Time with A on T/Th
9:30 Grocery shopping on Wed.
11:00 Lunch
12:30 A Quiet Time/Blogging Time
2:30 Pick O up from School
3:00 Play time
5:00 Dinner
7:30 Baths/Stories
8:00 Bedtime

Meghan said...

Oh, another way we are the same - my wonderfully organized, scheduling-loving friend! I, too, think your schedule looks great. In September, I'm going to be doing "Learning Time" with Iris two or three days a week as a sort of pre-preschool. I'm still trying to decide if actual preschool is really that important or if I can just do it myself. The only benefit I can think of for her to go is that she will get used to being in a school setting....and I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that she is old enough for me to even be thinking of this! Where did my baby go?

I'm going to be sad when Organization Overload is over.:( I've really enjoyed these posts!

Sheila said...

Thanks for the schedule. I'm homeschooling my 5 year old for the first time and scheduling is a challenge since I'm pretty laid back and disorganized! :)