Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Organization Overload-NEW SCHOOLROOM-Before

I love watching HGTV. I love a good before and after. I don't really care about the inbetween. When I watch a show, I typically watch the first 5 minutes to see what it looked like, then I go about my business for 20 minutes, and come back and watch the last 5 minutes. Yes, I do not have a DVR right now. I don't have the fast-forward privilege anymore. :( Consider this the first 5 minutes of the show called, "Ugly Basement Workroom Turned Schoolroom Makeover".

We are beginning our first year of homeschool next week and I had been trying to figure out where to do school. It began with my trying to figure out where to store our school materials out of the way of Miss O while doing school in the dining room. I didn't want the school stuff out where Miss O could get into it or where any dinner guests would be forced to look at it during their meal. So, I did what I always do and I called my sister to brainstorm an idea.

After a very rousing discussion of different kinds of cabinets and storage contraptions, she suggested using the workroom in the basement. A light bulb came on and the dreaming began. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that she created a makeover monster. What is the workroom you say?

When we bought this house, it had a hideous workroom in the basement that we desired to someday turn into a guest bedroom. It is the type of room that is just creepy. You have to walk through it to get to the laundry room, and that was pretty much the only reason to walk through that room (and never without shoes on!) Anyway, the guest bedroom makeover is a long way off because we have a very long list of home improvement projects more pressing than a guest bedroom currently. It had become a storage room for the most part.
The conversation with my sister was about 10 days ago. We started painting the next day. Here are the before pictures with the girl's beginning the paint process. What was I thinking letting an almost 4-year-old and a barely 5-year-old paint?


2 comments:

Meghan said...

I can't wait to see the "after" pictures! I love HGTV as well, and I was laughing because I will often times just watch the first five minutes and then come back for the reveal too. I get bored during the actual work part!

Hope said...

Meghan-
Glad to hear someone else skips the work part! It is so much more fun to just ooh and aah over the shocking results, than to watch how they got there!