Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Stepping Up-Week Three

Good Morning Ladies!



I trust you took Beth's advice and got lots of sleep last night! I'm working on the whole sleep thing. My youngest has finally stopped waking up asking for the pacifier in the middle of the night, so I'm beginning to get better sleep.



This was a great week in God's Word. There were several things that have stuck with me from this week's study, but I can't seem to stop thinking about the whole sow the seed versus eat the seed thing. Beth wrote this, "Sometimes we don't even realize the difference. We'll think we accepted the teaching because we were so moved by it. But you see, the seed of God's Word can fill our stomachs and give us immediate satisfaction and still not produce a harvest--that's when we eat it but don't sow it. many times we apply biblical truth to our theologies without applying it to the actual practicalities of life."



My family attempted a garden for the first time this year. We have fought desperately with the birds and rabbits and bugs. We have yet to harvest anything from the garden. The girls had a blast with planting the seeds and watching the sprouts grow, because they came quickly, well the ones that didn't get eaten by the birds did anyway. But then the hard work of remembering to water the garden every morning and keeping out the pesky weeds and animals set in. It has been difficult to keep up the work when we cannot see the harvest, but we continue to do it because we know that we will harvest something (just not the green beans or peas or cucumbers that the rabbits ate!)



I love Galations 6:9, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." I am sooooo tempted to give up on this garden, but then I remember the joy that will come with the harvest. This garden has become my literal reminder this week of figurative seeds that God has been sowing in my life and the future harvest that will come from them. I must not give up! I must not become weary!



In respect to the seeds in the garden and the seeds in the Word, and eating versus sowing the seed, here's our discussion question for this week. Well, it's two-fold, because I like two-fold. I get to learn more about you! Feel free to answer one or the other or both!



1. What is your favorite food to eat that comes from a seed?

2. What scripture seed is God asking you to sow this week?

4 comments:

Hope said...

My favorite food from seed would probably either be the strawberry or the apple. However, if pizza came from a seed, it would definitely be pizza. :)

God's been sowing lots of seeds in many areas of my life lately. Here's a quick run-down.

1. Learning to share transparently with people, not question His prompting! "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."
2 Corinthians 1:3-5.

2. Psalm 127:2 SLEEP, and do not labor in vain, make sure God is building "my projects". (i.e., blog, ministry, etc.)

3. Isaiah 61 Breaking some strongholds in my life and giving me freedom in Christ from Satan's lies in the areas of grief and weight loss (I know, seemingly unrelated, but SOOOOO related in my case!)

Emily said...

My favorite food from a seed? Pickles. I'm attempting homemade again this year, but I'd eat your pizza from a seed if you could figure that out for me!

I think it is appropriate that this morning you put the Galations scripture out there and are talking about reaping the harvest. It is so very, very difficult to continue when we feel like giving up would be easier.

Right now it is sowing the seeds of faith and the seeds of kindness and respect into my children. There are days when it seems there will never be a payoff and yet I know that if I continue my work, it will come to pass. Along with a healthy dose of faith.

I am being lazy about looking up scripture, but we all know the one that says honor your father and mother. That is another one that is working on my heart both as I try to instill that into my children and as I work to practice it with my own parents.

Nancy said...

My favorite food from a seed is a cherry. Don't know why, but I love cherries, especially the big, dark, sweet cherries. And, my Gramma made the very best cherry pie in the world...I'll miss that!

For me, the past week has brought about scripture sowing of Phillians 4:13- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. As simple as this scripture is, I need a daily dose reminder that I truly am a child of God with Christ-given power and strength to overcome any and all obstacles that may get in the way of doing the work that God has set before me. Last week, I knew that caring for my Gramma in her last hours would be difficult, but I repeatedly quoted this scripture out loud as I was required to perform some pretty challenging medical stuff. Also, Satan has been tempting me with doubt and fear about our adoption journey to bring home our future daughter. Again, I just need that constant reminder that it's not will, my strength, or my power that overcomes daily struggles, but it is through Christ that I can be sure that victory over Satan's schemes, even doubt and fear is mine for the taking!

dianna b said...

Definitely popcorn. I LOVE popcorn! Especially chocolate covered popcorn! Years ago back in Nebraska, we even grew our own popcorn! Remember when Cracker Barrel had popcorn on the cob you could buy? It had a little brown paper bag with it & what you did was put the cob of popcorn in the bag, fold it at the end, place it in the microwave & it would pop right off the cob! Man, I loved those things!

I love sweet corn on the cob too. Every year we freeze tons of sweet corn on the cob & eat it all winter long & share it with all our guests!

Seeds of God’s word I planted this week…

I was able to share Gal. 6:9 Do not grow weary in doing good for in due season you WILL reap a harvest if you do not give up. Also I encouraged my son to pray just like David did in Psalm 116 & Psalm 34 & to believe that Almighty God – Jehova Shama, "God Who Is There" for him – God who cares for him – God who restores & redeems – who does not leave us in a pit – to believe that He rescues us & frees us & answers our prayers, bending down to hear us & saves us from our troubles. I was totally blown away later that week when he called me to share with me what incredible thing that God had done! We are both blown away & praising God!

We had a severe thunderstorm the other night & my 11 yr. old grandson who is staying with us got rather scared. So I held him & prayed & shared with him some of the words from a favorite song of mine called “Strong Tower”. I shared with him that God is our STRONG TOWER, a SHELTER over us, beautiful & MIGHTY, our Everlasting KING. God is our STRONG TOWER, FORTRESS when we’re weak, His name is true & holy & His face is all we seek...So we said that over & over again to God & my grandson calmed down & hopefully he’ll remember that when the next storm comes along! Then we watched a movie REAL LOUD to take his mind off the raging storm outside. That worked too! :-)

And another wonderful seed...Delight yourself in the Lord & He WILL give you the desires of your heart. Ps. 37:4