Thursday, October 2, 2008

Friday Night Church

I was sitting in Friday Night Church two weeks ago with Miss A who is 5 years old now. It was time for communion and the poor girl was just famished. She was whining, I mean, asking me why I wouldn't let her have any bread and juice, because she was just starving. I politely told her to be quiet and that we would talk to Daddy about it when we got home.

Fast Forward a few hours....

Daddy has a lovely and very heartfelt conversation with Miss A about how you have to believe in Jesus and accept Him as your Savior before you can do communion. She says, "I believe in Jesus." So, they have a lengthy discussion about how you can say you believe in Jesus, but do you really know what it means, etc. She is adamant, "I believe in Jesus. I'm ready to take communion."

Then the conversation moves to baptism and when you are ready to be baptized and what it means, etc. I interject a lovely little story about how Mommy got baptized when she was 6-years-old. I talked to our pastor and answered all the questions the right way, but I wasn't quite sure now that I really understood what it meant at the time. So she needed to make sure that she knew exactly what it means first.

Daddy told the story of how he was baptized when he was 11 years old and it was because he did something wrong and knew that he had done something wrong and needed Jesus as his Savior.

She insisted, "Then I will get baptized when I am 10. Is 10 okay?" More discussion followed, as you can imagine.

Fast Forward a week...

We're getting ready to go to Friday Night Church again. On her way out to the van I catch Miss A saying this to Miss C. "I get to sit in church with Mommy again tonight. I have to be quiet and just sit there. And, I can't take communion because I haven't been baporated."

Baporated? Obviously she understands it all perfectly.

5 comments:

Aimee said...

oh, hope go read my blog entitled "Conversation with doodlebug #1" Our little ones sound like two peas in a pod!

Aimee said...

p.s. got my book today! YEah!

MamaHenClucks said...

What sweet, wonderful conversations. I always think that those conversations are the reason to be a parent. Teaching and explaining and showing the next generation that God loves them. And I love her mispronunciation! Those are the things that I miss as kids get bigger!

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

Cutie-pie!

My six-year-old has been telling me she wants to be baptised. I struggle between being sure she understands and discouraging her. Also, in the Bible, the moment anyone comes to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, they are immediately baptised.

Sigh. This parenting stuff is so confusing!

Ashley Griffin said...

That is so cute!! My 7yr old just received Christ a few weeks ago during ReFresh and @ our church the kids have to go through a class called First Steps that explains a little more about baptism and their decision before they can be baptized.
BTW your church looks awesome. I hopped on the link and checked it out!