Friday, November 14, 2008

A Fall Blessing

Okay, so this was sort of at the top of what you wanted to hear. Thanks so much for helping me with my writer's block. Maybe the floodgates have opened? I'll be getting the other nine posts up in the next few weeks. I'm going with your advice and doing Fall, Good Gift, Thanksgiving, and December. The rest will just follow up after those are done. Aren't you just downright intrigued with my ambiguity? Fascinating.

Alright, A Fall Blessing. Here you have it. I believe I have mentioned before that fall is my absolute favorite time of year? Well, in case I haven't, it is. (Um, tied with Christmas maybe?) Okay, so fall is my favorite SEASON. Yes, it is.

Because fall is my favorite season, I have always dreamed of having a beautiful tree in my front yard. You know, the ones that stand out when you drive down a street and make you want to pull over and stare at it for a while, marveling at God's awesome handiwork? That kind of tree.

Our first house had no trees in the yard because it was a new house in a brand new subdivision, the kind where they tear down everything considered nature into a big flat piece of land, build as many houses as possible, and then attempt to plant a few new baby trees that will take years to grow in an effort to make you feel like you don't live in a subdivision. Yep, that kind. So obviously, no trees.

We sold that house and lived with family for awhile as we were waiting for God to show us where to go. This past February He showed us where to go and we started house hunting. In February. I kept telling my husband that I wished we were house hunting in the fall so I could see what color the trees would be. Because I had always dreamed of having a beautiful tree in my front yard, you know the staring kind. Bright yellowish orange. So beautiful you can't help but look at it. Clearly I am not a botanist or I might have been able to at least guess based on the type of tree in the yard, maybe? Is that possible? Any botanists out there?

Anywho, we had a total of two weeks to house hunt. In February. There were only two houses for sale in our price range that met our criteria at least a little bit. We bought one. There's not much we like about it. Other than a small mortgage payment to fit within our budget, shelter from storms, and a yard to play in. There's not much to like about it.

Sounds whiny doesn't it? Sounds ungrateful doesn't it? That's what I was thinking.

Then God showed me this. The trees in my front yard.


They're totally staring trees. And they are right out my front window. I sort of want to go ask the neighbors what color those trees used to be. Ugly brown? Never had color until this year?

See, I believe God made those trees bright yellowish-orange, gotta-stop-and-look-at-them, beautiful just for ME! I believe that those trees are God's reminder to me that this house is exactly the house He wanted to give me. This house is exactly what I NEED. This house is a gift from Him. I live in a house given to me by God. Suddenly there is much less to complain about. How about you? Has God given you any fall blessings this season to remind you of His provision and His handiwork? Oh, I hope so. It just downright make me smile.

8 comments:

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

Simply beautiful! I love that our God is concerned with even the littlest desires of our hearts...

MamaHenClucks said...

Oh Hope, I love this post! Of course God gave you exactly what you need, right down to the tiniest detail of the trees. Especially the trees.

Chandra said...

I do love your trees! Wish I could be there to soak up fall with you.

Carrie said...

They are GORGEOUS! Definitely the eye catching kind of trees!

Meghan said...

Oh, I AM jealous! My dream home includes trees just like this...

I think a blessing I've been pondering lately would have to be the neighbors we are lucky enough to have in the neighborhood we live in. I've always sort of taken them for granted, and this year, especially this year, God has been just showing me how awesome the community we live in truly is. They are definitely a blessing!

Aimee said...

Gorgeous Hope. Looks like it was hand painted just for you...oh, yeah it was!

Heather said...

Beautiful trees!! Can't believe I didn't hear about it - but I love the pics and so glad you got the unexpected blessing- I remember when you were house hunting and having this conversation with you. God is good!

dianna b said...

Oh wow, Hope, what gorgeous trees God placed in your front yard just for you during your favorite time of year! No wonder you are so excited! God put the desire of your heart right smack dab in your front yard! I bet every time you look at those trees you just smile real big knowing God did that just for you! I'm smiling real big for you too! What a great story! :-)