Monday, November 17, 2008

Good Gifts from a GRAND God!

"What's in the box?"

You didn't really think I would answer you that easy did you? How 'bout a little back-story? It'll be so much more exciting that way.

To start off with, did you know that God sends gifts via USPS? Well, He does, in fact. How do I know? Because I got one! Intrigued yet?

Do you remember the post about what I pray? Well, I've got a whole bunch of people and things I've been praying about since July and I've seen many prayers answered. There were a few things on that list that might seem kind of selfish. I'll admit it. I thought they were pretty selfish too.

However, I know that God wants to give us good gifts. I know that He cares intimately for each and every one of us. I know that He already knows what is on our hearts, but He wants to hear it too. It's just part of the conversation I have with Him.

So, the thing in the box is a gift from Him, an answered prayer. Now that we've narrowed it down to something on that list, I think maybe we're going to have to take the story back further.

I haven't had a camera for 7 years. Okay, minus the BlackBerry phone that takes pics that is. We've had 4 children in that time and borrowed a camera for each and every birth. I've longed to take pics of my children and often felt guilty for not taking them. The only pictures I have of my children are ones other people have taken and given to me. Sad huh?

So, I really wanted to get a camera. I researched and found exactly the one I wanted to get. A Canon Digital Rebel. I started saving my money.

Then, God told us to sell everything we had, including our house and most of our belongings. He told us to move in with our in-laws. He told my husband to quit his job. He told us to wait on Him and He would show us where to go. I must admit, I felt rather well-connected to Abraham and Sarah.

Nearly 18 months later, we had enough money for one month's expenses left. We had hardly any money coming in. Almost every dime had been spent, including the money for the camera. Then, God did it. He showed us where to go. We've been here since February and are still blown away at just how much He has provided the details. How much He intimately cares for our needs. And sometimes our wants.

I still had a strong desire for a camera. I was missing documenting precious moments with our children. So, I started to pray for one. Often times, my prayer went something like this...

"God, I know that there are far more important things to pray for and far more important needs to fill. If it is not too selfish a prayer, I pray that you will provide a camera for our family." Ever prayed a prayer like that? Ever thought, He COULD answer it, but SHOULD he?

I kept praying nonetheless, I mean He knows my heart anyway. Why not express it directly to Him?

If you've been reading my blog, you've seen me apologize for the crummy pics from my phone and yearn for the day when I would have a camera to take better pics. Right?

Someone else read my blog too. I got an email from a blog-friend who wanted to know why I didn't have a camera. Just so happens she had a camera she wasn't using. When she read my post about the camera, she just felt like she NEEDED to give me that camera. She couldn't explain it.

So, she stepped out of her comfort zone. She asked the awkward questions. She did the hard part. She offered to GIVE me her camera because she wanted to and because God was telling her to.

My heart skipped a beat when I read her email. The camera she wanted to give to me? A Canon Digital Rebel. The exact camera I had been dreaming about.

Oh, friends. God cares about the details. He cares about our desires. He wants to make us smile. He wants to show us just how much He intimately loves us. He wants to give us good gifts.

I shudder to think of the times when I have thought that maybe God was asking me to give something away and I didn't. Because it was too awkward. Because I was just sure I did not hear Him right. No more. Thank you blog-friend for listening to God. Thank you for giving our family such a wonderful gift. Thank you for being a vessel in which God used to teach me about His love. His provision. His delighting in His children.

So, what's in the box? A Canon Digital Rebel. A good gift from a GRAND God. Thank you God! You are worthy to be praised.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Have you ever been prodded by Him to give a gift? Did you do it? Have you ever received a gift that blew you away at how much God really does care for you? Share it in the comments. I love a good God Story!

4 comments:

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

That is an AWESOME story! I'm crying and giggling all at once. God totally cares about the details.

There've been a couple things God has prompted me to give, but one story stands out...

There was a missionary couple just home after 18 months in Thailand, and she mentioned needing a crockpot. I felt compelled to give her ours. BUT, it was September, and I wasn't expecting my new one until Christmas (my hubby is pathetic at keeping surprises, lol). So I put it off and put it off.

Finally, just before Halloween, I relented. "Okay, God, enough already. I'll do it!" I dropped it at their back door with an anonymous note. But God showed me something important to help me realize that my delay in obedience had an effect - there was a box from a new crockpot in their recycling bin.

Because I waited, they took from the little that they had and bought a new one. It made me sad, because I know they were working hard to save for Christmas for their two boys, and the $80-150 probably came from their Christmas fund.

I don't know if they were able to return the new one they purchased, or if they just gave my old one away... But that day God showed me why He needs me to obey immediately and without question.

Meghan said...

Oh, Hope! What a great post! And what a great story! I have goose bumps! Did you just FREAK out and fall down on your knees in wonder and praise? It's amazing and humbling to think about how God truly provides for us - in EVERY way when we put our trust in Him! Yay! A camera!

Hope said...

Tyler-
I love your crockpot story! I've been on the other end of that story. The one who went ahead and spent money on something instead of waiting for God to provide it. Your story teaches a lesson both ways! Thanks for sharing!

Meghan-
Technically, I was in the grocery store when I got the email (on my phone). So, I freaked out on the inside and then drove home all giddy to tell Nate about it. I suppose maybe I should have just whooped and holla'd in the store though. It might have been a good witnessing story. ;)

MamaHenClucks said...

What an incredible testiment to what God can do. How often do we forget that if he knows the hairs on our heads, and those are important, than surely he cares about the things that are in our hearts, even a camera! What a blessing and a praise!