Monday, January 12, 2009

Check Your Focus

Did you set goals or resolutions for this new year? Have you already failed miserably at them? Maybe it is time to change your focus. I was given a wonderful gift this year by a fellow blogger. A digital camera.

Now, I don't know anything about photography, but I can still take great pictures with this new camera. Why? Because it has auto focus. Just a few adjustments here and a couple buttons pressed there and my camera will take pictures that are perfectly in focus every single time. It's wonderful and it makes it so easy. Well, until I want to focus on something that is further away. You see, when I want to focus on something in the background and have the foreground be out of focus, I have to turn off the auto focus. On auto focus, my camera only focuses on what is right in front of me.

Is that how your life has been? Are you automatically focusing on what is right in front of you? Is it easier to just focus on the here and now? Has your daily life been on auto focus? I want to challenge you this year to take your eyes off of the auto focus and put them in manual mode. Choose each and every day what it is that you will focus on. Will it be the daily appointments that are in the foreground? Or will it be the spiritual growth and time with God that has spent far too much time in the background?

I have decided to change my focus this year. My goals this year may be the typical ones. Get healthier, get debt-free, go on vacation, etc. The difference this year is how I am going about them. I am committing to spending time with God each and every morning, to meditating on His Word day and night through scripture memorization and Bible Study, to think on every decision as a means to obey His Word. Through a focus on Him, He will make me able to accomplish my goals. When my focus is Him, my goals will be His Goals!

As a challenge to keep focused on Him and to think about my 2009 goals from a spiritual perspective, I've decided to post a question here every day for the next 31 days about my goals for the year. There is a great article here that gives 31 questions to ask yourself for a new year. Spend some time praying over and thinking over these questions in the next month and see if He doesn't change your focus for 2009! Will you be spending another year on auto focus?

Here's question number 1:
What's one thing you could do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?

Spend time with Him each morning! Get to KNOW Him!

1 Give ear to my words, O LORD,
consider my sighing.

2 Listen to my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.

3 In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

-Psalm 5:1-3

As part of my scripture memorization this year, I am also participating in Memory Monday. So, I've chosen the above scripture for this week.

For more Motivate Me Monday go here and for more Memory Monday go here. Happy Monday!

6 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Great stuff! I think I've been on auto-focus, and it may have to remain that way awhile just so I can stay afloat with bing preggo and taking care of two toddlers and a home! I really appreciate your heart on this and the practical applications of the questions - great idea!

:)

MamaHenClucks said...

This is great Hope! My one goal this year is to be intentional, which I think goes hand in hand with not sitting at 'auto focused.' Being intentional makes me have to stop and think about everything, how I'm disciplining, am I reading my bible, loving my hubs, my friends? Everything. Great post!

Kyla said...

Wonderful post! Thanks so much for your perspective. It's so easy to just stay on auto-focus . . . it's up to us to dig a little deeper!

Thanks for the link to the 31 questions, also! Great stuff!

Meghan said...

I agree - great post! I'm ashamed to admit that spending time with God has been hanging around in the background of my life for a long time. One of my goals for this year is to make a concerted effort (it makes me sad to have to use the word "effort". Should it really be an effort?) to have focused morning prayer time/God time. The day just gets away from me if I don't do it first thing.

As always, you are so inspiring!

Carrie said...

I needed that scripture today - thanks for sharing it!

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

I'm going to try to answer each question you post...

Study His Word in depth, in a new way.