Saturday, January 17, 2009

Question #6-And help from some older Titus women?

What is the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?

This one is hard, because my immediate answer is women's ministry. We're a church of over 1600 and thriving in every way, except that there is NO women's ministry. I thought when we first moved here that God wanted me to start and grow this ministry here. However, I began to feel like it was competing with my husband's ministry for time away from family, etc. So, I made the decision to put the women's ministry on the back burner and work at supporting my husband's ministry. (And God has made it obvious that this was the right decision). So, now I feel like the women's ministry is maybe for a future time?

The only two other things I can think of are more focused prayer and helping in my husband's ministry more deeply.

God has made it clear to me that I am to be home with my children and homeschool them (for now). So, I feel like my priorities have to be my personal relationship with God, my husband, my children, taking care of the household, homeschooling, and helping with my husband's ministry. I don't feel like that leaves time for other ministries (even though I would LOVE to do some! I have lots of great ideas that I feel like God has given me!)

So, in addition to answering the question. Anyone have any advice on how to balance it all? Or on the idea of phases of life and how some passions are maybe planted for use at a later time versus using them all at once? If you know of an older woman who has been through this who would have some great ideas, please send her this way! I would love to hear many different ideas from some Older Titus women! (Titus 2:3-5)

3 comments:

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

Hey Hope, I'll send my friend Peggy over here to share her thoughts - she's one of my mentors in women's ministry, and has gone through many seasons of change in her family and ministry. (Now, she's an empty-nester - all 4 of her kids have grown up and moved out.)

As for what I can do for my church... Refuse to speak negatively to others, even my husband. We've gone through RAPID growth, and with that come many challenges. Virtually every program is "new" with new leadership and/or short on help. It's easy to make little grumblings. But it's more important to pray.

Just so I don't come across wrong, I'm very careful about preserving and promoting unity, and I have been (generally) good about avoid gossip. But if something frustrates me, I'm still taking that frustration to my hubby before I take it to my God.

MamaHenClucks said...

I think that there are seasons for everything, but as a mom, I feel (and have prayed over this for years) that my FIRST priority is the teaching and instruction of my own children. In a way, isn't that strengthening the church, too? We are charged with raising up the next generation and will be held accountable for not doing so, or at least those are my convictions. I think that when the time comes that you are able to do more, like women's ministry (which also lies very close to my heart), you will know it. In the mean time, I try to to help the church in ways that I can, like working a Sunday a month in the Nursery or being the contact person for baby showers, bridal showers and coordinating meals for those who need them. These are things that do not take away from the family and raising of the kids, but that really can have an impact in strengthening relationships. Also, if our church has outreaches planned, we participate and take the kids along.

I think there are ways to be used of the Lord, but always my priority is raising Godly children. Whew! There's my novel! Perhaps some nugget was helpful?

Sarah said...

Most of my friends know that I have a nursing degree, but I also have a Master in elementary education. I LOVE working with kids. So I have been really wanting to help teach a kids Sunday School Class. The only problem is that I sing for worship and I have to juggle the schedule. I know will help work things out! I feel that helping kids know about Jesus is SO important.