Sunday, March 22, 2009

The God Chronicles-March 2009

I know, the God Chronicles is supposed to be on the 20th. So, I'm a few days late. Although, judging from the fact that I haven't blogged in an entire month (where did the month go? Oh, that's right, we've been sick all month!), I'm guessing you weren't really expecting a post anyway. So, surprise, here I am! Okay, let's get started, here's what God's been doing this month around here...






This is my youngest daughter, Miss O. This is her new thing she does when she has done something that she knows she is not supposed to. I often find her walking through the house covering her eyes.

I can immediately walk into the room that she came from and see what she has done. For example, an entire roll of toilet paper in the toilet, stickers on the bookshelf, pen marks on the counter-top, playing with big sister's Leapster, using every wipe in the container, putting on sister's dirty underwear. Okay maybe that last one was a bit much. I'm just telling it like it is. That was this week.

It cracks me up because it is a dead giveaway, yet she genuinely thinks that if she can't see me, then I can't see her, which means that I can't see what she has done. I'm having a hard time telling her otherwise, because I kind of like being able to tell when she has done something wrong!

I wonder how often we treat God this way. How often do I just hide my spiritual eyes thinking that if I don't look at Him, he won't know what I have done? Or how many times do I see a need in someone else and instead of helping, I just hide my spiritual eyes and pretend that I didn't see?

As much as I would love to not tell her that I can still see her, it has provided a great teachable moment with all three of the girls. God still sees us, even when we try to hide. We are so much better off to just go to Him with our problems! And, we should use our spiritual eyes more often to see the need in others and ACT on it!

For more God Chronicles go here!

4 comments:

MamaHen Em said...

I remember being little (probably her age) and hiding in the closet after doing something I wasn't supposed to. I also remember my mom reminding me that God sees us all the time and that we can never hide from him. I love how this seemingly innocent act has been a springboard for a very important conversation and aspect of God!

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

Hope, you give me new ways to teach my children every time I read here!

Thank-you for being my faithful participant in TGC...you have no idea the difference it makes to see a link added just as I was giving up hope. :)

I finally got that book I promised in the mail to you - they say it will be about 2 weeks (Canada Post is pokey).

Have a blessed week!

Meghan said...

I was so excited to see a new post from you! I've missed you in the blogosphere!

What a great opportunity for a teachable moment. I am so guilty of thinking that I can hide from God. For me, I think this has stemmed from a faulty understanding of His forgiveness and grace. It just has seemed too unfathomable that He would be willing to forgive any sin I might bring to the table - no matter what it happened to be. So I've tried to hide instead, which is silly! Thankfully, this has begun to change as I've come to have a better understanding of grace and forgiveness through some preaching and teaching I've been exposed to in the last few months- it's been transforming! Just feeling for the first time in my life that I don't have to hide my face from Him when I sin - that His grace and mercy are extended to me unconditionally because Jesus died on the cross for ME! I don't have to follow a bunch of rules or go through some crazy self-inflicted atoning process first to make myself OK enough to approach Him.

Great and insightful post as usual, Hope!

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

Hope, I totally blew the date for TGC this month! Just wanted you to know we're going on the 24th. Hope you've got another story of inspiration to share. :)

BTW, I have sure been missing you on here! You really ought to tell us what's new in the zoo.